New Directions Playwriting Competition Launched
Amateur Stage Magazine is proud to announce that New Directions Playwriting Competition has just been launched.
Recognising that new writing needs support, the competition is being sponsored by Lazy Bee Scripts, Spotlight Publications, Josef Weinberger, Scottish Plays, New Theatre Publications, Samuel French, Stage Scripts, Nick Hern Books, The Little Theatre Guild, Amateur Stage Magazine, Amdram.co.uk and Stage Whispers Magazine in Australia.
Full details of the competition are now published on the Amateur Stage Website.
The winning entries will be announced in 2012 at a gala event at a West End Theatre.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. New Directions is open to playwrights in two categories:-
· One Act Plays
· Full length plays
Plays can contain any subject matter. However any play that contains anything illegal or, in the opinion of the organisers could open the organisers up to legal action of any kind will be disqualified;
2. The prizes for the competition are as follows:- One Act Play Competition £500 and for the full length section is £1000. We reserve the right to offer other prizes as the situation arises. The winning entries will be awarded at a special function to be held in early 2012 at a London theatre.
3. Entry to the competition is as follows. Full length plays £10 per submission, One Act Plays £5 per submission. There is no limit to the number of plays which can be submitted by any author and the competition is open to anyone from anywhere. Entries must be written in English. The closing date for entries is December 20th, 2011. Entry fee can be submitted by cheque/ money order in Pounds Sterling to Amateur Stage Ltd, Suite 404 Albany House, 324 Regent Street, London W1B 3HH or online via the Amateur Stage Magazine website. If paying online please include the shopping cart order number when submitting your script.
4. All plays submitted must be previously unpublished (but can have been performed) and the author must warrant (submitting a play is taken to mean you agree to these terms and conditions) that the work is his/her own and is not in breach of any copyrights or other agreements including any music and lyrics. Playing time for One Act Plays should be between 30 mins and 1 hour. Full length plays running time should not exceed 2.5 hours.
5. Each play must be sent by email or disc in PDF, Rich Text (RTF) or Word format. The file name must contain the name of the play (eg KingLear.doc). Entries must be clearly marked that they are for the NEW DIRECTIONS PLAYWRITING COMPETITION. Entries should be emailed to editor [at] asmagazine [dot] co [dot] uk or mailed to Amateur Stage Magazine headquarters. No responsibility will be accepted for lost submissions. An email acknowledgment will be sent to all entrants acknowledging receipt of entry.
6. A first page containing the name of the play, author’s name (real and pseudonym if appropriate) and contact details (address, phone number and email address), a brief synopsis and approximate running time. All other pages of the play must contain the name of the play in the header and a page number in the footer. The author’s name must not be contained on any pages other than the first.
7. The decision of the judging panel will be final and no correspondence will be entered into over decisions made. No correspondence will be entered into before judgement is published.
8. The winners will be announced at the end of February 2012 and featured in Amateur Stage magazine. All entrants will be notified of the outcome by email. No correspondence will be entered into with entrants until that time.
9. The organisers reserve the right to publish the winning entries for promotional purposes only. Copyright remains with the author.